Friday 26 June 2009

Pop Classics Part 4 - Talk Talk - It's My Life


Quite simply, Talk Talk's `It's My Life' is one of the best pop records ever recorded. It sounds better today than it did when it was first released in 1984. An attempt of a cover version by No Doubt could only be described as laughable. The only good thing about that version was that hopefully it steered some folk into sourcing the original, so they could then throw Gwen and co's effort into the bin.

Also, my wife and I chose this song as our "wedding dance tune" when we got married a couple of years back. She danced, I wobbled.

You might have noticed that all of my "Pop Classics" selections so far have been from the 1980's. This is a reflection of the period of time that I was first exposed to pop music to any real extent. nothing to do with some rose-tinted view of this decade that seems to be in fashion right now. There was a lot of great music during the 1980's, but of course a lot of rubbish as well.

2 comments: