Wednesday 9 September 2009

Delroy Wilson - Dub Plate Style


Criminally, I have never had much Delroy Wilson material in my collection due to my leaning towards more roots orientated reggae over the years, with Delroy's songs being a bit too light or standard for me, but the tunes on this set are excellent and now I know what I was missing. Of course I already know "Better Must Come" and "I'm Still Waiting". Also, I had previously heard both "Find Yourself Another Girl" and "Joe Ligea" as dub versions from the album "King Tubby's Special 1973-1976" on Trojan.

The tracks on this album are dubplate mixes by Prince Jammy of what were Bunny Lee-produced material dating from the 1970s. Not having the originals myself, this is lost on me, but I imagine that the original cuts are more straight mixes than some of the tracks here that boast quite dubby and are harsher mixes than you would expect. Maybe that's why they appeal to me so much.

Full marks to Pressure Sounds for this. One of the few labels left releasing quality reggae reissues.

Not very interesting I know, but I worked with the late Delroy Wilson's cousin, an ex-Jamaican police officer at an oriental rug warehouse in north west London during the latter half of the 1990's. Now you know.

Anyway, for sound clips click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment