Friday 17 July 2009

Pop Classics Part 5 - Sad Cafe


Over the last few years in the UK there seems to be a growing trend for "Guilty Pleasures" club nights. The concept is, in my eyes that a bunch of half-wits listen to what they see as wack cheesy pop or AOR which they really love and enjoy, but pass it off as being ironic whilst of course they are huge Hot Chip fans. So I guess Sad Cafe , a bonafide AOR band could be described as a guilty pleasure, but I don't believe in such a thing as I have no guilt, because these two tracks are monsters! I owned both records - "Everyday Hurts" (1979) and "Strange Little Girl" (1980) - when they were released when I was at a tender age. For some reason that I can't fathom I had 2 copies of `Everyday Hurts'. I also bought the follow up to these two gems - "My Oh My" (1980), which didn't reach the higher heights of these two killer tracks.

Sad Cafe were from Manchester, but you don't hear them mentioned when it comes to the regular TV and radio retrospectives on that city. Funny that.

I couldn't find any footage of "Strange Little Girl", but you get some great TOTP action of "Everyday Hurts".



No comments:

Post a Comment